Hi there, well in just a few days it will be Thanksgiving (aka Turkey Day) and we know some of you will be deep frying that bird (which is really tasty when you add some Cajun spices.) But more importantly is that deep frying a turkey is DANGEROUS. The following are some recommendations from the US Consumer Product Safety Commission.
- Keep fryer in FULL VIEW while burner is on.
- Place fryer in an open area AWAY from all walls, fences, or other structures.
- Never use IN, ON, or UNDER a garage, breezeway, carport, porch, or any structure that can catch fire.
- Raise and lower food SLOWLY to reduce splatter and avoid burns.
- COVER bare skin when adding or removing food.
- Check the oil temperature frequently.
- If oil begins to smoke, immediately turn gas supply OFF.
- If a fire occurs, immediately call 911. DO NOT attempt to extinguish fire with water.
For safest operation, CPSC recommends that consumers follow these guidelines as they prepare to use a turkey fryer:
- Make sure there is at least 2 feet of space between the liquid propane tank and fryer burner.
- Place the liquid propane gas tank and fryer so that any wind blows the heat of the fryer away from the gas tank.
- Center the pot over the burner on the cooker.
- Completely thaw (USDA says 24 hours for every 4 to 5 pounds) and dry turkey before cooking. Partially frozen and/or wet turkeys can produce excessive hot oil splatter when added to the oil.
- Follow the manufacturer's instructions to determine the proper amount of oil to add. If those are not available:
-Place turkey in pot
-Fill with water until the turkey is covered by about 1/2 inch of water
-Remove and dry turkey
-Mark water level. Dump water, dry the pot, and fill with oil to the marked level.
From us at Evergreen, Happy Thanksgiving and stay safe in no matter what you are doing this holiday season.
Fire Safety Tips for the Holiday Season
November 24 – 30, 2009 is Canadian National Home Fire Safety Week and below are some great holiday safety tips, no matter which side of the boarder you live on.
With the fun filled holiday season quickly approaching comes a need to take safety precautions around the home. Whether it is ensuring the Christmas tree is properly watered, to hanging fire-safe ornaments, to not overloading electrical outlets, there are a number of steps Canadians can take to avoid a holiday disaster.
Both the Evergreen Safety Council and Canada Safety Council encourages everyone to take every precaution to ensure the holiday season is one that is safe and happy.
A very important holiday tip that should be followed all year long is to make sure that smoke alarms are working and that there is one on every level of the house. Single level homes and apartments should have smoke alarms near the kitchen and all sleeping areas.
Here are a few simple safety tips to keep your home fire-safe during the holidays:
The Christmas Tree
- When purchasing a real tree, check for freshness by tapping it on the ground – dropping needles, indicate a dry, highly flammable tree. Needles should be hard to pull from branches and when bent between your fingers, they do not break.
- When purchasing an artificial tree, make sure it’s ‘fire resistant.’ Although this label does not mean the tree won't catch fire, the tree will resist burning and should extinguish quickly.
- Place your tree away from fireplaces and radiators. Also, heated rooms dry out fresh trees, so be sure to keep the stand filled with water by topping it up daily.
- Never use lighted candles on or near the tree.
- Remove a real tree within 10 to 14 days; otherwise it can start to dry out and pose a fire hazard.
- Ensure the chimney flue is open and clean before you light a fire.
- Remove all decorations that could be burned around the fireplace, such as stockings.
- Always use a screen in front of the fireplace to protect against flying sparks.
- Do not burn wrapping papers in the fireplace. A flash fire may result, as wrappings ignite suddenly and burn intensely.
- Never leave the fire unattended or let it smoulder.
- Do not use Christmas trees for firewood. Only use seasoned and dried wood.
- Choose decorations that are fire-resistant, non-combustible and non-conductive.
- Avoid using tinsel together with spray-on snowflakes. This combination is highly combustible.
- Do not use metallic ornaments on the tree. If they make contact with defective wiring they could become a shock hazard.
- Use Canadian Standards Association (CSA) approved lights. Place indoor and outdoor lights in their respective environments.
- New or old, check light strings for broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires, or loose connections, and throw out damaged sets. Make sure you do this before putting lights up. It is much easier to replace bulbs on the ground, than on the roof.
- Do not use electric light strings/sets on metallic trees. A faulty system could energize the tree and shock or electrocute anyone coming into contact.
- Turn off all lights when you go to bed or leave the house. The lights could short out and start a fire.
- Do not overload electrical outlets, and never string more than three sets of lights per single extension cord.
- Never leave burning candles unattended, and always keep out of reach of children.
- Keep candles in sturdy holders on a stable surface, well away from curtains, trees or any other potentially flammable objects.
- Put out all candles before leaving the room or going to sleep.
- Never leave your cooking unattended.
- Avoid wearing loose clothing while cooking.
- Make sure items that can catch fire, such as paper towels, are kept away from the stove.
- Use a timer to remind you that the stove or oven is on when roasting or baking food.
- In case of a fire, never turn on the overhead fan – this could spread the fire.
- If a fire starts and can’t be quickly put out, leave your home and immediately call the fire department from a safe location.
Remember to have a working smoke alarm on each level of your house. Have a safe and happy holiday season!