Safe Kids encourages boaters to take a boating education class and have their boat undergo a vessel safety check before hitting the water. Free annual
Safe Kids also recommends these tips to keep children safe near the water:
• Be sure children on boats or near open bodies of water wear the correct size and type of life jacket as approved by the Coast Guard.
• Actively supervise children in and around open water, appointing a designated watcher to provide undivided attention.
• Enroll your children in swimming lessons once they reach age 4. Teach them how to tread water, float and stay near the shore.
• Make sure children only swim in areas specifically designated for swimming.
• Teach children to be aware of uneven surfaces, currents, undertow and changing weather when swimming in open water.
• Do not allow children to operate watercraft such as Jet Skis. These are intended for adults and require special training.
• Teach children never to dive into oceans, lakes or rivers.