Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Burn Awareness Week

The National Gasoline Safety Project is using Burn Awareness Week (Feb. 6-12) to emphasize the dangers – particularly to children – of using gasoline to start fires for barbecue grills or campfires, or to burn trash.

Although a national study funded by the project indicated that 80 percent of parents do not use gasoline to start fires, those who do put themselves and their children at serious risk.
"Ironically, our research shows even parents who use gasoline to start fires know it isn't a safe thing to do," said Amanda Emerson of the National Gasoline Safety Project. "But they think it's something 'everyone' does. It's not. And it needlessly puts children in harm's way."

To ensure gasoline is used safely, the organization recommends the following:
  • Never use gasoline to start a fire.
  • Carefully read all caution labels on gasoline containers and adhere to safety precautions when using a portable fuel container.
  • Always place fuel containers on the ground when filling to avoid static electricity ignition.
  • Gasoline should never be used by children and should be kept out of their reach.
  • Do not store gasoline in a vehicle or living space. Gasoline should be stored in a well-ventilated area.
  • Keep gasoline containers closed when not in use.
  • Avoid prolonged breathing of gasoline vapors.
  • Gas is potentially fatal when ingested. If swallowed, call your physician immediately. Do not induce vomiting.

Source: National Safety Council

1 comment:

  1. A Chemical Safety Board video released Feb. 4 depicts the Kleen Energy and ConAgra Foods explosions, both of which were caused by the intentional release of fuel gas near work areas.

    The animated video, called "Deadly Practices," http://www.csb.gov/videoroom/detail.aspx?VID=49 shows the hazards of releasing gas in areas where it can accumulate and ignite.

    The February 2010 incident at the Kleen Energy plant in Middletown, CT, occurred when workers used natural gas to flush out debris in a pipe-cleaning process known as a “gas blow” resulting in the death of six workers. In the case of the June 2009 blast at the ConAgra plant near Garner, NC, purged gas accumulated in a utility room, resulting in the deaths of four workers.

    "The deadly accidents at Kleen Energy and ConAgra were entirely preventable," CSB Chairman Rafael Moure-Eraso said in the video. "At the Chemical Safety Board, it is our hope that standards will be put in place that will require these safer practices, which we believe will save lives."

    CSB also issued urgent recommendations related to the Kleen Energy and ConAgra incidents for safety during the purging of fuel gas piping.


Thank you for taking the time to provide your comment on this topic. We welcome comments on your experiences in safety & health, as well as additional safety ideas and resources. Please remember to keep it clean and be respectful of others. We reserve the right not to include comments that do not pertain to the posting.